[time-nuts] DPLL for 10MHz

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Mon May 7 17:56:25 UTC 2012

On Mon, 7 May 2012 12:17:02 -0500
Bill Dailey <docdailey at gmail.com> wrote:

> Regarding the vectron tru-050 looks nice but requires me to come up with
> a board and resistors and capacitors etc which is above my ability.

Uhmm... how far does your abilities go?

> I looked at the miller thing but what I want to do is only correct the
> oscillator like every 500-1000 seconds.  I want to do more than smooth out
> the hump. I am playing with short term stability of mid 10-13 sub 1s to
> 10-12 at between 500 and 1000s.  Yes, it is a good oscillator but not BVA
> good.

Read the recent "Don't GPS' your Rb" threat, it explains why you want
to update/correct your oscillator more often than every 500 seconds.

Also, if you want to go down to that level, a lot more is important
than just the right GPS receiver and the right PLL. You want to think
how you want to supply power to your system with very little noise on it.
How you want to connect the components without picking up too much noise,
neither E nor H field. etc pp.

It is easiest, if you do a PCB, then you can control a lot of the stuff
without too much effort. Building it on a veroboard is not recomended.
Instead use a solid ground plane (ie copper plate) to mount your stuff on,
if you want to do it prototype style.

			Atila Kinali
--
Why does it take years to find the answers to
the questions one should have asked long ago?