[time-nuts] List of interesting equipment

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Tue May 8 22:51:31 UTC 2012

On 05/09/2012 12:25 AM, Azelio Boriani wrote:
> That is the very reason to follow the time-nuts group. Yes, not the only
> one, of course.  You can learn, for example, that the Tek 7L series and
> 2240 'scopes have interesting analog time interpolators, Wavecrest has a
> patent on the same item, it is useful to get and study the PRS10 manual and
> schematic and so on. Studying the test equipment manuals and schematics is
> worth not only for time and frequency applications but also for RF,
> extremely low noise, high speed, parameters stability, clever ways to sense
> and measure the real world with the highest precision. Stay tuned, don't
> give up.

Last sentence there is important.

It is worthwhile to read the old stuff, such as the HP/Agilent AN200
series of application notes. Just learning the bits and pieces of
counters, adding the interpolation mechanisms etc. is a good path.

Then reading up on stuff like Allan Deviation (I tried to shape up the
Allan Deviation article on Wikipedia to touch on many important aspects)
and friends.

Getting stuff, trying stuff, failing and asking the stupid questions,
learn and go further. Trying to design and build ones own stuff just
extends on that.

That's essentially what we do here.

Cheers,
Magnus