[time-nuts] Can M12+T be improved?

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed May 9 19:54:18 UTC 2012

In message <727909549.133407.1336592785570.JavaMail.mail at webmail11>, billdobson
@uk2.net writes:

>   The idea is to remove the onboard TCXO and replace it by a
>   16.368MHz clock synthesysed from the OCXO,

I asked one of the motorola engineers about this long time ago for
the UT+, and he said pretty flatly that it wouldn't work.

He said that it is not really a TCXO but an XO with it's temperature
measured and the frequency looked up in a table in the onboard
microcontroller, and therefore the temp-calibration would have to
be redone and he wouldn't tell me the commands to do so.

Those commands may have leaked subsequently, and the M12 may be
different from the UT in this respect, but I doubt it is enough
to just preplace the TCXO.