[time-nuts] question about Thunderbolt geo acuracy

Arthur Dent golgarfrincham at yahoo.com
Thu May 10 17:23:00 UTC 2012

>Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com

>There is an error in your quoted text.   The author must have though
>there was a difference between WGS84 and "true sea level".   No that
>is not true.   If you paper map that you bought from US Gological
>Survey says "WGS84" on it then THAT is the definition of sea level on
>that map.   The altitudes of contour lines and peaks will be in WGS84
>and should match what the GPS says.     Many older maps use a
>different system so their saw level is defined differently.  Almost
>all GPSes have away to select the elipoid.  It defauls to WGS84 but
>you need to set it to match your paper map.

  I'm not sure what point you're trying to make but it is a fact, as the OP pointed
out, that there are differences between the empirical data of 'true elevation' and
what various GPS receivers will indicate based on whatever model they are
using. Elevation errors associated with GPS are well known and I have observed
these errors and the 2 sources I quoted pointed them out as well. I've known the
error between well-established landmarks and the GPS to be significantly off
(over 200') and the error will vary from location to location but the error will be
essentially constant for any single location.

  If you're saying that a GPS and a map based on the same model would agree
and give the same incorrect elevation, then that is entirely possible but it would
simply make both of them incorrect by the same amount. The example given in
both references I quoted of having a GPS tell you are say 100 feet below
the sea surface when you are standing on the beach high and dry is a situation
where I'd believe my observations and doubt the model the GPS is using.  The
point of the 2 references is to explain why there could be a difference between
two GPS receivers reporting elevation and not to get us mired in the weeds
near MSL at the sea shore.

-Arthur