[time-nuts] Clocks for Audio gear

shalimr9 at gmail.com shalimr9 at gmail.com
Fri May 11 11:18:44 UTC 2012

The brain uses phase at low frequency and amplitude at higher frequencies to find the direction a signal is coming from. It works better for low frequencies than high when you have a steady tone, but high frequency positioning is better when the signal is pulsed.
It is almost impossible to locate the source of a continuous high pitch tone in a confined space because of standing waves.
My boat has a piezo buzzer to indicate low oil level. It was completely impossible for me to tell if it was located in the engine compartment or under the dash, or anywhere else, even though the cockpit is wide open. It turns out it was in the engine controller, to the right of the driving position. Someone had to tell me.

Didier KO4BB

Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless thingy while I do other things...