[time-nuts] Trimble Resolution SMT - good/bad/indifferent?

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri May 11 13:09:07 UTC 2012

On 5/11/12 4:34 AM, shalimr9 at gmail.com wrote:
> Yes, I moved them yesterday
>
> Didier KO4BB

"channel" in GPS receiver speak is more than a single satellite..  L1 +
L2 + L5 would be three channels.

Sometimes the P/Y code is considered a separate channel.

And when you start adding in other constellations and S/Vs (QZSS,
Galileo, GLONASS), you add channels.

ANd here's another reason to claim "X channels" where "Y<<X" is the most
you're likely to use.  It gives an indication of processor/FPGA
resources consumed, and can be used to estimate "margin" in a
utilization review.

For instance, if I've demonstrated acquiring and tracking 100 "channels"
in the lab, and I know I'm never going to see more than, say, 12, in the
field, then it is unlikely that there's some obscure timing/processor