[time-nuts] Why are 1PPS signals so skinny?

shalimr9 at gmail.com shalimr9 at gmail.com
Wed May 16 00:12:24 UTC 2012

The issue is that the overall power drawn at 1Hz can cause stability problems for all the power supplies, so in the example given by Tom, the power modulation probably affected the power supplies regulation and it affected the next pulse, not the first pulse. Since it is continuous pulse train, the perturbation affects potentially all the pulses.

This page shows the spectrum of pulses of constant frequency and amplitude, but varying width:
http://www.ko4bb.com/Test_Equipment/Pulse_Modulation/

You can see that when the duty cycle is changed from 10 to 50%, the amplitude of the first harmonic (the fundamental) goes up by 10dB.

So if you are only interested in the leading edge and there is appreciable power spent when the pulse is high, a longer pulse only draws more power at the fundamental without adding anything to the precision of the leading edge. If the fundamental is 1Hz, you will pulse the power drawn from the source at 1Hz, which is too low to be filtered out by most power supplies

Didier KO4BB

Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless thingy while I do other things...