[time-nuts] Why are 1PPS signals so skinny?

shalimr9 at gmail.com shalimr9 at gmail.com
Wed May 16 00:58:35 UTC 2012

Mike, here is the effect of the A/C cycling on and off during a warm spring day on the delay through a piece of RG-8 cable maybe 3 feet long:

http://www.ko4bb.com/Test_Equipment/data/HP10811-raw.png

The full scale (screen height) is about 5x10 to the -10, the length of the record was about one hour.

The cable was very short, I did not record the temperature variation but it was maybe 2F.

You can imagine what a 100W light bulb (or a warm body) might do if you try to measure at 10 to the -12, and/or you have longer cables.

Didier KO4BB

Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless thingy while I do other things...