[time-nuts] Serial port server .. any interest in a write up on using ?

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed May 23 05:39:30 UTC 2012

> I've played with a Lantronix single port server and a Digi 16 port
> server with no problems for simple COM port emulation.  But I wonder if
> they would work well with an NTP server.  Has anyone tested that?  Is
> the network delay a problem due to either amount of delay or variation
> in the delay?
>
> Ed

I've tried one serial-USB converter for NTP.  The box passed the DCD line,
which was essential to get the PPS signal through.  Performance was not as
good as a direct connection, but better than LAN sync alone.  See:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/NTP-on-Windows-serial-port.html#usb

I haven't tried an Ethernet connected terminal server - I would hope it
was better than USB, but I don't know.

Cheers,
David
Web:  http://www.satsignal.eu