[time-nuts] is there a cheap and simple way to measure OCXOs?

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Wed May 30 13:11:03 UTC 2012

Hi,

I recently bought some Oscilloquartz 8663 from ebay and am now wondering
how to check whether they are working correctly or whether they are
out of specs.

Unfortunately, although i have a reasonable park of measurement instruments,
none of them are in the precision range that i'd need to characterize
the 8663's.

I have three oscilloscopes (analog 20MHz, digital 200MHz and 1GHz),
a cheap handheld frequency counter and a couple of multimeters of
various quality. I also have a FE-5680A at hand as frequency reference.

Any ideas what i could do to measure phase noise and frequency without
buying a lot of stuff? Soldering is not a problem though.

			Attila Kinali

		-- Tirin, The Dispossessed, U. Le Guin