[time-nuts] [armyradios] Re: MY ADDRESS BOOK HAS BEEN STOLEN ! DO NOT CLICK ON LINK !!!

J. Forster jfor at quikus.com
Wed May 30 16:20:58 UTC 2012

I've seen this scores of times in the last month.

There is apparently some attack on Yahoo mail that harvests peoples
address books. ALL the instances I've seen come from Yahoo addresses.

Then a spammer blasts to those addresses messages titled "hey", "hello",
or no subject. The email contains a link to a site for jobs, which I'm
pretty sure installs malware on your 'puter. The spam is nominally for a
jobs site.

There is another thing the spams have in common. The Domain Registrar is
ALWAYS Ukranian...  www.ukrnames.com . I have filed dozens of spam
complaints, but the Registrar does NOTHING except send a meaningless reply
in Ukranian.

IMO, this is going to continue as the Ukranians seem to have no interest
what so ever in shutting it down. If they were serious, they would shut
down all sites having anything in common with the spamming registrant.

The people in Hong Kong (hkdnr) were finally responsive several years ago.
They shut down 2500-3000 web sites all belonging to the same Registrant.
I've never seen another spam from Hong Kong since.

Until someone busts the Ukranian's b@%%s, this is going to continue.

To the members of my groups: If an account spams the Group, it will be put
on Moderation and STAY there. Period. One outspoken guy demanded to be
taken off because he "had fixed the problem". His account spammed again
hours later but never got posted. He left the group in a huff.

Best,

-John