[time-nuts] Sulzer 5A & 5P PSU/battery question

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 21:11:34 UTC 2012

Magnus
A rare occasion that I get to have an answer for you.
I have two sulzers also and the batteries 5 years ago were an issue.
I believe nimh batteries could be put in if you really need batteries. At
$35 I passed that option. Plus batteries are just a pain.
I think the issue you have is that without the batteries its filtering is
quite poor you need a larger filter cap 2200 uf at the very least. Its 21 V
as I recall. The system is indeed intended to charge nicads and so it
really is a current charger. But will run the oscillator with a cap.

Far wiser (Which I did not do) is to replace the guts with a regulator. A 3
terminal adjustable would be great plus a bit of heat sink. Though you
could use the actual assembly for that with a insulator.
By the way the can cap thats is in my units were bad.
Good luck great oscillators
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL