[time-nuts] Sulzer 5A & 5P PSU/battery question

Adrian rfnuts at arcor.de
Thu Nov 1 22:12:43 UTC 2012

Hi Magnus,

that should be pretty much identical to my recently acquired Racal MA259
that consists of a SA500 5 MHz oscillator and PU525 power supply /
battery pack.

The batteries have already been replaced by a 'battery simulator'. I
haven't looked inside yet, but it consists very likely just of a number
of series connected Z-diodes.
The diodes should be dimensioned to handle the high charge current of
200mA. The charging current is already limited by a series resistor, so
nothing else should be required.
A larger electrolytic cap in parallel to the Z-diode stack appares to
make sense.

I replaced all of the notoriously unreliable carbon composite resistors
in the oscillator and inner oven circuit.
Tonight I wound a new toroidal transformer for the inner oven
temperature control bridge.
The old one had developed a short between the primary and secondary
windings that I could make disappear for a while though not permanently.
Unfortunately, tonight it became conductive again and my 2nd attempt to
burn it away ended with a completely burned away winding.
However, at the first repair attempt, I had measured the inductance
values of the original transformer.
Thanks to Sulzer's brilliant idea to include an independent inner oven
temperature indicator, I was able to verify that nothing has changed.
Now I'm waiting for the frequency to stabilize again, which I'm
expecting to happen within the next 2...4 weeks.

Adrian