[time-nuts] Is it sensible to update every few seconds from NTP server?

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 8 02:48:36 UTC 2012

On 11/7/12 5:42 PM, shalimr9 at gmail.com wrote:
> That sounds odd, as most radios take tens of millisecond, if not hundreds to switch from transmit to receive and back in any mode other than break-in CW.
>
> Further JT65 is used with propagation modes that typically do not have a stable or predictable propagation time like moonbounce or meteor scatter, so I don't understand why mS timing would be necessary?
>
> I must be missing something.

maybe some form of Coherent or very low speed CW or equivalent, where
you use an external reference to get symbol timing.  Say you were
sending at 1 bit per second, using a 1 PPS as your symbol clock.  You
send a sync pattern at the beginning, then free run for the message.

Don't forget that the implementation may be very unsophisticated or
adopted/modified from some hardware design where the timing was counted
down from a good clock, and now it's just a slavish copy in software.