[time-nuts] Can a VNA be a high resolution frequency counter

Malcolm g0mic at aol.com
Wed Nov 14 01:27:01 UTC 2012

I have been looking at the DG8SAQ VNA for other purposes and it is suggested in the VNWA_Help.pdf  on page 158 that it can be used as a high accuracy / resolution counter. Document available at http://www.sdr-kits.net/vnwasoftware/?20    .

Ignoring any drift in the TXCO as I would drive it from an external reference source ( GPSDO or Rb derived) of 36 MHz,  being a (junior in knowledge) time nut I added this as another reason to buy the VNA.  However, I do have some reservations and would like the comments of better qualified time nuts and the answers to some questions:-

1.  Can the VNA really have that level of resolution?

2.   Is the resolution  reduced in the ratio of the measured frequency to the clock frequency e.g. at 360 MHz is the resolution 10 times worse than that at 36 MHz?

3.   Are there any other factors that should be taken into account when performing frequency measurement please?

Whether or not  this feature works is not a deciding factor in my consideration just a possible plus.

Your comments please ladies and gentlemen.

Regards

Malcolm
G0MIC