[time-nuts] Confused about Rubidium oscillators

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Wed Nov 14 17:03:01 UTC 2012

 From what's been reported here, the mechanism isn't consumption of the
Rb, but rather deposition of material on inside of the bulb, reducing
its intensity, and that can sometimes be reversed by tricks that some
time-nuts have reported -- it's more of a maintenance rather than a
wear-out issue.

I think that's quite different from a Cesium tube, where the cesium is
actually depleted as it is ionized and sent down the beam.

Otherwise, there are failure modes that result from components running
at elevated temperatures for many years.  I'd also consider those
maintenance.

John
----