[time-nuts] getting a grip on 10811 drift (trying to read my instruments)

Chris Howard chris at elfpen.com
Fri Nov 16 04:15:17 UTC 2012

On 11/15/2012 3:49 PM, Charles P. Steinmetz wrote:
.90 VDC           9,999,999.90

> How and where are you measuring the EFC voltage?  Are you sure the
voltage on the EFC pin of the 10811 (Pin 6) was the same as you measured?
Was the EFC return pin (Pin 5) connected to the oscillator supply return (Pin 4)?
If it is left floating, the EFC will not work properly.

I was measuring with a cheap digital multimeter between pins 5 and 6.
According to the documentation I have, pins 2, 4, and 5 are all tied
together internally and pin 2 is connected to ground on my controller card
(and the controller card is grounded to the case via both power
supply wires and mounting hardware)

I can send commands to the controller card and run the voltage
up and down as expected.

But those are good questions.  I should test again with
a test harness and different power supply when I get the
oscillator out of the device.