[time-nuts] Z3805 two frequency maxima

Volker Esper ailer2 at t-online.de
Sat Nov 17 16:41:20 UTC 2012

Hi,

while playing with my recently aquired TIC (SR620) and measuring the
period time of some oscillators I discovered something I hadn't expect
at all:

The output of my GPSDO (Z3805) writes two maxima in the period histogram
(at a spacing of 60ps).

I didn't believe that result and assumed an inherent error in my
measuring setup or the counter itself.

So I plugged another oscillator, the reference TCXO of my signal
generator (R&S SMX), and that result made me happy and uneasy at once:
The TCXO hat only one maximum.

I havn't calculated the ADEV curve, yet.

See pictures.

Why does my GPSDO produce such a weird result?

Cheers

Volker - DF9PL