[time-nuts] Nifty "MINI TIC" for DMTD work detail Info please read

David McQuate mcquate at sonic.net
Tue Nov 20 01:46:54 UTC 2012

Hi Bert,

What kind or sort of documentation is needed?

schematics?
PC layout?
software / firmware documentation?

I've been programming PICs intermittently for 10+ years. Some of my
projects use 2 or 4 line LCD displays. I have given other
microcontrollers a short test spin.

I've also done some Verilog with the Altera DE0 nano board (Cyclone IV
EP4CE22F17), a period counter that used an internal PLL to boost the
hardware 50 MHz to 300 MHz for better resolution. Also FPGA for software
defined radio signal processing (Cyclone III).

Dave McQuate
WA8YWQ
mcquate at sonic.net

On 11/19/2012 2:28 PM, EWKehren at aol.com wrote:

> Allow me to put all this in  perspective. Three years ago having just
> joined time-nuts I started to be  interested in Dual Mixers. Having CS and Rb my
> main interest was and still is  low noise signal generators and I have all
> the HP equipment for those  measurements. Did my first Shera Rb about 2000
> and a few more since. Time was  not and still is not much of an interest my
> best time instrument is a modified  PICTIC II.
> Starting with the original NBS paper  I came to the conclusion that the
> major cost would be the counter, something I  would have very little use for,
> for other projects since I am well equipped up  to 40 GHz. That is when I
> came up with the idea of what I call a ping pong  counter a counter that counts
> every period, sort of pseudo time stamping. Back  of an envelop calculation
> and I went on the list stating that I think a $  200  D/M system not
> counting OCXO’s  was doable. What was needed was help with the PIC codes. First
> response was  “that is why we call our self Time-nuts”. However Richard Mc
> Cokle did offer his  help and he has been key to the success. The goal of $
> 200 for all material for  a 4 channel counter and D/M is attainable if 10
> boards are ordered.
> The first set of boards where done  in about 5 month. Several people tested
> the D/M but kept on using their counter  and my thanks go out to Corby who
> tested the very first  D/M.
> I was left testing the counter and  logic is my strong suit as Juerg will
> attest my weakness is software even though  at one time I set up and was in
> charge of a software group. Had problems with  the counter PC interface. Now
> thanks to Corby I now know that the problem was  the 56K RS 232 versus 9.6
> K. Tells you how brilliant I am on that subject. Till  recently I thought RS
> 232 is RS232.
> I did reach out to the list and  connected with Fred Tijddingen who offered
> to help. I send him a counter and he  asked me to get him some parts that
> where not time related after he agreed to  pay for them. After I shipped
> them, never heard from him again. Be careful, I do  not know if any one else had
> that experience. Many of you know I used to ship  and only asked to be paid
> after you got the parts. Well now I am a lot more  selective.
> A year ago I connected with list  member Juerg Koegel. We share the same
> priorities and complement each other with  our skill sets. On top of that
> Juerg has the equipment that I lack and the know  how to make it talk to PC’s.
> On top  of that Juerg had used a MAX 3000 G/A for a PICTIC counter. Perfect
> match. Juerg  can also write PIC code, not like Richard but what we  need.
> First out the 2 channel and 4  channel counters now with G/A’s and Richards
> PIC;s. The two channel measures  phase and period in the ping pong mode
> allowing you to do the basics of a single  D/M. The 4 channel was intended for
> [...]

Clear Stream Technologies