[time-nuts] WWVB PSK demodulation; simple carrier regeneration?

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Tue Nov 20 12:56:38 UTC 2012

Hi

I believe the "lowest cost" approach is to take the RF and run it through an simple switch. The switch either has a 0 degree or a 180 degree phase shift. Drive the control of the switch with a computer generated track of the known modulation format. Let the computer get time via NTP and just generate the (really slow) switch drive waveform. A diode ring and a pair of transformers will do for the switch.

Is it a bit noisy? - yes. Should it bother a receiver that already deals with a lot of noise? - probably not if your NTP is within <10ms.

Bob