[time-nuts] Question re 1pps output on the Z3805A

Mark Spencer mspencer12345 at yahoo.ca
Sun Nov 25 00:52:50 UTC 2012

Thanks all for the responses.

I am routing the signal via 50 ohm coax to the 1Meg ohm input of a 100 Mhz analog scope using dc coupling.  After some fiddling with the trigger settings I am able to observe a brief pulse every second that appears to be .15 volts above ground.   I'm not inclined to believe that the signal is actually .15 volts though.  I did try terminating the scope end of the coax with a 50 ohm load and the signal as displayed on the scope didn't change.   I recall making similar measurements in the past and seeing more reasonable results.
I really don't want to blow the inputs on my 5370B's hence my caution here. I did try connecting the signal to one of my 5335B's and based on the trigger settings I was able to use to get that counter to trigger I'm inclined to believe it is  3.3 or 5 volt TTL level but I'm not 100 percent sure.
I'll have to do some more experimenting with my analog with other 1pps signal sources to gain more confidence in my measurements and or ask Santa for a digital storage scope (:

Regards
Mark Spencer