[time-nuts] Surge Arresters

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Tue Nov 27 09:27:00 UTC 2012

On 27 November 2012 09:15, David Kirkby <david.kirkby at onetel.net> wrote:
> If I was reallly concerned, then I'd look at using an optical
> interace. Use a battery to power the GPS antenna, modulate a laser and
> detect the RF on a photodiode connected by a metre of so of optical
> fibre.

Of course, I mean detect the RF modulated light on a photodiode.

An optical interface is I believe the best you can do. I would
certainly not trust "surge protectors" on this sort of thing. But a
band-pass filter would do a pretty decent job, as there will be very
little RF at those frequencies from lightning. I did once used to know
the frequency range of EMP and ligthning, and whilst I can't remember
them now, it is well below 1.6 GHz where there is significant energy.

Dave