[time-nuts] Using a frequency synthesizer replacement for motherboard oscillator

Sarah White kuzetsa at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 21:55:01 UTC 2012

Has anyone ever used a TAPR clock block or other frequency synthesizer
to sort the clock drift / timing problems on a regular computer? I'll
probably end up with a used dell or IBM workstation for this purpose.

Recently, I came across a low-cost frequency synthesizer capable of
using a 10mhz frequency reference (planning on using the thunderbolt
GPSDO I'm working with once I manage to sort out the temperature issues)

http://www.tapr.org/~n8ur/Clock-Block_Manual.pdf

^ TAPR "Clock Block" has an installation example for how to do what I'm
planning with a Soekris net4501 low-cost / low-power embedded device...

What I'm hoping to figure out is how to do the same, except on a proper
computer such as the local used ones I'm able to get for less than $200
with 2ghz with 30GB hard disk, 512mb or more ram, etc. So I figure this
should be fine for what I'm planning.

Example of what I'm trying to do, though based on the low-power embedded
Soekris net4501 system from the TAPR manual's example section:

http://www.febo.com/time-freq/ntp/soekris/index.html

^Aren't those the photos from clock block frequency synthesizer manual?

Again, I'm wondering if anyone has opinions or experience about doing
such things with NOT an embedded system (as I said, can get a nice 2ghz
or so machine for less than $200 locally at a brick and mortar shop
within walking distance)

Thanks in advance,
Sarah