[time-nuts] 5071A Cs Oven

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Thu Oct 4 16:51:55 UTC 2012

Hi

The associated log entries are:

"Ion pump over current"
"Cs oven failed"

Not encouraging...

Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: time-nuts-bounces at febo.com [mailto:time-nuts-bounces at febo.com] On
Behalf Of Tom Van Baak
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2012 12:45 PM
To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] 5071A Cs Oven

Bob,

Right, not good. There should be a fault message associated with it. Check
the internal log.

OTOH, to conserve cesium, I've heard that some people run 5071A in standby
mode most of the time and only turn on the cesium for a fraction of an hour
a day or a week (to recal the quartz). Running in this standby mode is also
advisable if one wants the best short-term performance out of a 5071A,
without the loop noise. In this respect it's just like a GPSDO - you get the
best short-term performance if you turn off disciplining.

/tvb