[time-nuts] 57600 baud rate with Basic etc

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Wed Oct 10 15:49:13 UTC 2012

Hi

If they had done USB instead of HPIB / GPIB, a lot of the drivers would have
been "out of service" by the time Windows 95 came along. No chance at all of
them working under Windows 7.

For the complexity, it'd have been better if they used something more like
Ethernet. Except in 1968, you would have set up for something other than
TCP-IP. Anybody running a Token Ring network in the basement?

No easy solution. Serial com is still with us because it's a lowest common
denominator. I'm sitting here coding it into a new product right now (once
the uber super compiler finishes a build). It's supported on just about
every chip set in the universe. I suspect it will outlive the cockroaches.

Bob