[time-nuts] Followup (still want a GPS-type NTP refclock)

Sarah White kuzetsa at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 07:50:41 UTC 2012

Hi again everyone :)

Originally I was hoping for a thunderbolt. The control / diagnostic
software looked cool, but I couldn't afford the pricetag on one.

...Here's my followup now:

Determined I'd love to get my hands on an iLotus m12m.
That's just a statement. My heart is set on getting this.

Would it be possible to find a kit (new, used or otherwise) with:

1) iLotus M12M timing mode GPS (serial port version)
2) Aprox 10 meter antenna cable with apropriate connector(s)
3) active antenna which can handle being 10 meters from the module
4) power supply for above list, and much needed luck, all for under
$100 USD

Discovered something amusing about my sirf III GPS "mouse / puck" ---
uses the same prolific 2303 chip internally (same driver) as the USB
<---> Serial converter I dug out of my storage area and tested in the
past 24 hours... At least I know it works with the various operating
systems I'll be trying to time on...

Speaking of my ugly little $6 usb gps not-timing-mode module... I've
been playing with:

setupSiRFDemo.exe ((installer package dated from 2007))
6.37 MB (6,680,594 bytes)
CRC32: 147BF6E1
MD5: 2C1DC21831CC131AFFF3F6AEE6F392FF
SHA-1: 6A5F7940922A8360347784BC532CD67F39F387F3

Works fine for my crappy NMEA / sirf-binary GPS thingy... will this
also work for the iLotus M12M or is there a new or comparable version
of the same? (similar to the thunderbolt or sirf thingy) ...

Is the iLotus M12M actually sirf-based? Not quite sure based on a few
seemingly conflicting statements I've seen from diferent vendors.

Are these iLotus M12M basically aftermarket motorola oncore?

That's all I guess.

((digitally signed))
Sarah White

- --- Original post quoted below ---