[time-nuts] Are serial port headers standardized?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Oct 20 18:42:32 UTC 2012

On 10/20/2012 04:15 PM, Sarah White wrote:
> On 10/20/2012 10:06 AM, Bob Camp wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> The IDC to 9 pin cables are a generic / cheap item on eBay or from Newegg. Less than $3 delivered last time I needed any.
>>
>> Bob
> ((...snip...))
>
> Motherboard manual said:
> "Connect one side of a switching cable to the header and then attach the
> serial COM device to the other side of the cable."
>
> ... is "IDC" another way of saying this? what does the acronym represent?

IDC block header is a more correct term as I recall it. Wikipedia concurs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insulation-displacement_connector

Back in the 80thies when I had my first job, these 10-pin IDC block
header serial cables was already an established standard. If you have
hard serial interface on your motherboard, be lucky, plug it in and run!

Cheers,
Magnus