[time-nuts] Are serial port headers standardized?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Oct 21 13:07:23 UTC 2012

On 10/21/2012 02:30 AM, Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> I do believe I can top that one :)
>
> Back in the 70's (do I need to mention jobs …) these were already an established item. Before that point (as in back in school … don't ask when that was) I spent some time modeling the charismatic impedance of the connector plus cable combination. Turns out that 120 ohms is a pretty good match…

Well, as you are older than me, it is expected that you could top that
one, in fact it would have been a failure on your part if you couldn't. :)

Anyway, it's a well established standard which fits the needs.

At work we have transitioned over to a smaller connector (for space
reasons) and also dropped the RS-232 driver as it is only used for
debugging anyway, so we have a small board which has level converters
and 8P8C (aka RJ45) connector.

Cheers,
Magnus