[time-nuts] Timing performance of servers

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sat Oct 27 13:47:09 UTC 2012

Dear Edgardo,

On 10/25/2012 02:04 AM, Edgardo Molina wrote:
> Dear Mangus,
>
> I will allow myself to share a comment on your thread.
>
> Timing on windows servers is not one of their plausible strengths.

This comes as no surprise, but I wanted some hard fact to assist in
raising the awareness.

The reason I raised it here is that I didn't have the hard facts at hand
when I needed it, and I trust the time-nuts to have a diversity of facts
laying around. :)

> It was clearly pointed out during the SIM conference last week at CENAM.
> In fact there was an interesting discussion about the drawbacks when
> using NTP Windows based servers and all kind of NTP appliances compared
> to full size Linux based NTP servers.

Is there a presentation or even a paper to illustrate this?

> The example of what NIST is using nationwide for their servers set an
> example of good server hardware and linux to provide the nation's NTP pulse.

Interesting. I have however pointed out that a downside to their
strategy is that wide-spread set of servers assist to keep network
effects down. In Sweden SP (NMI) and NETNOD operates redundant servers
in 4 different locations, at SP and at the three main internet
exchange-points.

> I haven't done any experiments with Windows for NTP services, still it
> could be interesting as to set a benchmark while comparing it to the
> Linux boxes.

My gut feeling says that an undisciplined Windows can be anywhere,
configuring a server for the SNTP brings it into decent shape for most
workstation usages, shifting over to NTP is needed for many applications
but even that won't compete with a Linux or BSD box.

Being able to show that in a paper is better than arm-waving, even if
most people here most probably would believe me without much fact.

> I am currently trying out the Domain Time II NTP client from
> Symmetricom for the thesis. I have to come back to Symmetricom's
>Miguel García to decide on purchasing a Domain Time II NTP client kit.
> How is the Mainberg NTP client different from the Symmetricom version?
> Have you tried both?

I haven't tried either, as I rarely operate a Windows box.

> If not I will be more than glad to help comparing both if you can help
> me pointing out the source for a demo version of Mainberg's software.

Meinberg's NTP is available in fullblown version from their website:
http://www.meinberg.de/german/sw/ntp.htm
(the link to that page is available on their front page under the
dubious and hard to grasp title "NTP Software Sownload")

What they have done is essentially port the ntp.org NTP to Windows and
gift-wrapped it a little in terms of installation.

> Maybe then an objective review of both clients will be in order,
> I will be more than glad to do it or to test them against Windows
> NTP services, appliances and/or Linux NTP boxes. I have at least an
> example of those at the office.

Actually, doing this kind of measurement could be illustrative that your
time may be quite dispersed. It helps to raise the question of what time
is it really, how could I improve it and can there be an approval mark
on the time I have.

> 			-13
> Just my  2x10	cents.

That's a large frequency deviation among time-nuts. :)

> Regards to you and the group,

Many thanks!

Cheers,
Magnus