[time-nuts] Simple NTP server based on a Raspberry Pi

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Oct 30 08:39:34 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 10:42 PM, David J Taylor
<david-taylor> wrote:

> 05:37:43 up 13:54,  1 user,  load average: 0.26, 0.10, 0.07

Looks like you have a light duty NTP server going.   the higher .26 is
likely the result of running "uptime" but the 0.1 number is from NTP
with close to zero clients and whatever else is running.     You never
want the load average to go over 0.5 in steady state usage.   So you
onoy have a factor of five to go.  Good enough for a small office but
not for a public server.
Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California

As I said originally, Chris. I'm making no claims for the system, and I'm
certainly not putting it forward as a public server.  I see it being useful
perhaps to replace a small office or home user server with a reduction in
power (and running cost), or for when someone is out in the field without
Internet access and needing a good time source, perhaps for radio
experiments.  GPS/serial alone is not good enough (as we know) because (a)
the offset from UTC of the serial data and (b) the variability of that
offset.

I don't know how much of the load is gpsd and how much ntpd.  If there's an
NTP stress tester for Windows I can try that.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk