[time-nuts] ublox chip sets - what GPS device should I buy?

David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Sat Sep 1 07:09:07 UTC 2012

On 1 September 2012 00:00, Kevin Rosenberg <kevin at rosenberg.net> wrote:
> On Aug 31, 2012, at 4:05 PM, David Kirkby <david.kirkby at onetel.net> wrote:
>> I don't have it yet, but bought it on eBay today from the seller
>> "agilentused" which is Agilent, and sells used/ex-demo units which
>> have been reconditioned, and have a fully warranty. Since I have not
>> [...]
>
> I bought my MSO7104B oscilloscope from the same seller and was overall very pleased. It did take a long time to get the scope with the software options that I requested (6 weeks). But, they apologized and offered to include another $3K of options of my choice to compensate for the delay. The 3-year Agilent warranty was also important to me.
>
> Kevin

Hi Kevin,

A friend of mine done really well too when he bought from Agilent via
eBay. He had one of their first items they listed, but they did not
list the options - just the capabilities. As such, they agreed to
provide all the options so it met all the capabilites that were
listed.

Agilent don't make that mistake any more, and make it clear what
options are present. They listed two of the VNAs I bought - one with
just the 6 GHz extension and one with all the options. But the one
with all the options was listed at more than twice the price of the
one with just the 6 GHz extension.

I'd suffer a 6 week delay, if they chucked in the TDR option. The only
two options I did not get is the TDR (which is $3774 ) and the ability
to connect an external USB power meter ($511), for which I personally
have no use for.

Taking prices from the Agilent site, bought new, the VNA I have would
cost $22639, so to get it for $12000, I've "saved" $10639 and paid
just 53% of the new price. I put "saved" in quotes, as there is no way
I would have paid over $22k for this!

Dave
Dave