[time-nuts] Rb-Thunderbolt test during a solar eclipse

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Mon Sep 3 21:41:01 UTC 2012

On 09/03/2012 10:17 PM, iovane at inwind.it wrote:
> azelio.boriani at screen.it wrote:
>> Data: 03/09/2012 21.53
>
>> Remember the man with two clocks: here we are in the same situation. We
>> cannot tell which of the two is being screwed up or maybe both...
>
> This is a different case. No matter what each clock does, what matters is the
> variation of the difference of rates, the variation, not the difference
> itself.
>
>> Interesting experiment but I think it would be better if a
>> third clock was involved, for example a Cs reference.
>
> A four-atomic-clock test including an Rb, two Cs and an H maser had been done
> at another eclipse with null result, but the clocks were at the same location.
> What is new with this test is that it involves a GPSDO and hence a virtual
> clock elsewhere.

We have been touching this subject before.

To make me happy, you would have multiple clocks at the site, multiple
clocks at another site, common view monitoring of several time sources
and other links, fibre and radio. Multiple frequency monitoring of GPS
signals for instance, but there is GLONASS also.

I want different effects separated, by measurements to support these
different effects. Effect on ionospheric delay is one of them.
Dual-frequency (or more) measurement is one such tool.

So, I still think there is too little data to support anything else then
saying "we see a difference" and my response is "OK, let's characterize
it properly".

Cheers,
Magnus