[time-nuts] crystal (or MEMS) oscillators with low hysteresis

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 7 20:09:37 UTC 2012

On 9/7/12 12:20 PM, Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm guessing that power is also an issue, so cheap OCXO's are out. If that's
> true, I believe you are already at the "cheap vs good" inflection point with
> the cell phone TCXO. At < $2 they are pretty tough to beat. Just the fancy
> crystal in something better is going to give you a big boost in the price.

power and size..

Yes.. the cellphone tcxo is probably it.. but I was wondering if
something else that's not "TC" might not have better hysteresis
properties.  Short of buying a batch and trying them... which I'll do,
but before just randomly picking things out of the Digikey catalog, it's
possible someone has more insight into the inner workings of cheap clock
oscillators.

For instance, they make inexpensive fairly high performance low power
oscillators for COSPAS (emergency locator beacon) and wildlife tracker
use. But you'd never know that they have the higher performance unless
you asked.

AT the high, expensive end, I've got all the data I need..