[time-nuts] Re; New Wrist watch

Javier Herrero jherrero at hvsistemas.es
Mon Sep 10 17:52:39 UTC 2012

Hello!

El 10/09/2012 19:33, Tom Van Baak escribió:

>> Ah, "done with it" you say? No, that only begins a whole new set of problems. Setting to UTC begs the question: what time frame are you in and whose definition of a second is your watch counting.
Some time ago we supplied a customer in Germany a quite complex
equipment, including a workstation whose time was set at UTC. One day he
commented us that he had at first not noted that, and used the
workstation time to check the time while he was working with the
system... and that he noted the difference to the local time when he
missed the lunch a couple of times because the company canteen was
already closed when he arrived.

>> Traveling across timezones with a good clock brings you interesting problems, at the sub-microsecond level at least, due to earth rotation and latitude and due to relativistic effects of altitude and velocity.
Well, but since the $150 wrist watch class usually does not provide a
microsecond hand, I suspect that this would pass inadverted :)

Regards,

Javier

Javier Herrero
Chief Technology Officer                  EMAIL: jherrero at hvsistemas.com
HV Sistemas S.L.                          PHONE:         +34 949 336 806
Los Charcones, 17                         FAX:           +34 949 336 792
19170 El Casar - Guadalajara - Spain      WEB: http://www.hvsistemas.com