[time-nuts] Be aware of test equipment seller orzel-enterprises on eBay

Peter Gottlieb nerd at verizon.net
Tue Sep 11 00:48:57 UTC 2012

   Don't screw around with the seller.  It is his responsibility to get
   you what was described and in the condition shown.  Clearly he failed
   at this.  It is agonizing and annoying to jump through the ebay and
   paypal hoops but with photos and the copies of emails you have an
   excellent case.  There is a very high probability they will rule in
   your favor, and since the seller doesn't want to work with you, you can
   rightfully claim you have tried to do everything possible to negotiate
   but have been rebuffed.
   I have had quite a few items arrive badly damaged.  Most sellers would
   work with me, but those who didn't got a worse deal from ebay.  Hang in
   there and be patient, let the system work for you.
   Peter
   Sep 10, 2012 07:12:38 PM, time-nuts at febo.com wrote:

     On 10 September 2012 23:55, Tom Knox wrote:

     > Hi Dave;
     Hi Tom,
     > I would also recommend opening a" Not As Described" through eBay.
     I have done.
     > Most shippers require a minimum of three inches padding for any
     claim. Even a rock requires three inches so I am sure a PayPal or
     ebay dispute will force the seller to make good.
     I wish I had your confidence! I can't find anything in their rules
     that cover damage caused by inadequate shipping. It seems "buyer
     protection" extends to the seller having to pay the original
     shipping
     cost, but not the cost to the buyer of shipping it back. This seems
     most unfair to me. It's not a big deal on small light items, but
     shipping heavy items internationally is not cheap.
     I've also had to pay inport duties and VAT on this, which comes to a
     US equivalent of around $220. I doubt I will be able to recover
     that.
     > I that fails many of the part on that generation HPitem are
     universal and should be easy to locate.
     I have offered to accept a partial refund and try to fix it myself,
     but he does not want that.
     > Good Luck;
     Thank you. I might need it.
     > Thomas Knox
     Cheers Thomas,
     Dave, G8WRB.

     >> Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 23:46:01 +0100
     >> From: david.kirkby at onetel.net
     >> To: time-nuts at febo.com
     >> Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Be aware of test equipment seller
     orzel-enterprises on eBay

     >> On 10 September 2012 23:24, Tom Knox wrote:
     >> >
     >> > I had someone ship me a calibrator several years ago and he
     assured me he was a great packer and had a box that fit it
     perfectly. He was right the box fit perfectly, no padding required.
     Is the unit repairable? What parts are required?
     >> > Good Luck
     >> > Thomas Knox
     >>

     >> It's annoying. I don't know how big/heavy your calibrator was.
     But I
     >> think in future I will discuss with sellers how they intend to
     ship
     >> high value items heavy items.
     >>
     >> Lots of HP test equipment, which I'm sure many time-nuts own, is
     quite
     >> heavy. Shiping that requires some skill in packing it. This is
     not
     >> something I have given much thought to in the past, but I sure
     will in
     >> future.
     >>
     >> Not that I expect UPS would pay out on this anyway, but the
     seller
     >> undervalued the goods to $1000, which no doubt reduced the
     shipping
     >> charge, but means it would be impossible to make a claim.
     >>
     >> Dave

     http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/kirkby/damaged-VNA-by-inadequa
     te-packaging/badly-shipped-8753A-and-85046A.jpg