[time-nuts] Subject: Be aware of test equipment seller

Charles P. Steinmetz charles_steinmetz at lavabit.com
Tue Sep 11 03:00:16 UTC 2012

Greg wrote:

>Shortly after I started bidding on eBay back in the 90's, I quickly
>learned that many of the sellers are not knowledgeable equipment shippers.

Amen.  And that is the most polite and charitable description possible.

>I was surprised how the sellers would work hard to meet those requirements.

Interesting.  I have often sent basic packing
recommendations/requests, which have almost always been ignored.

>In a few instances where items weighed upwards of 100 lbs, I would
>obtain dimensions of the item(s) being sent, create a cardboard
>mockup of approximately the size and profile of the item, have my
>own container foamed-in-place  *   *   *  and send that container to
>the seller to use to ship the item to me.

Great idea, but it must dramatically raise your cost of
transport.  With the reported scarcity/prices of T&M equipment in
Europe that may be justified, but for domestic sales here in the
States it could be hard to justify.

>Now, after over 700 purchases on eBay, I can safely say that I have
>only received less than ten or so items that contained some form  of damage.

We have had more than double that many damaged items on fewer than
20% of the purchases.  There was a time several years ago when eBay
and paypal were useless at helping with not-as-described and
damaged-in-shipment claims.  Thankfully, in the last few years they
seem to have gotten more involved.

>Never underestimate the transportation companies and their
>propensity to damage equipment.

We have seen very little damage -- in fact, almost none -- that was
the shipper's fault.  I know it happens, but from our experience
nowhere near as often as reports would indicate.  I think this means
that most recipients don't know any more about packing than the
sellers, and are mistakenly blaming the carriers for the sellers' failings.

Best regards,

Charles