[time-nuts] Be aware of test equipment seller orzel-enterprises oneBay

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Tue Sep 11 20:32:00 UTC 2012

Two things about this. First, needs to be clearly stated that buyer pays
for return shipping. I've seen this stated. Second, I note that of late,
sellers are padding the hell out of the sales through excessive, even in
some cases grotesque, shipping costs. They're bf high enough as it is...
Don

Paul Flinders
> On 11/09/2012 13:17, David Kirkby wrote:
>>
>> If a buyer changes his mind, he will usually have to pay shipping both
>> ways.
>>
>> I say "usually", because under the Distance Seller Regulations in the
>> UK, if an individual (non-business) buys an item at a fixed price from
>> a business, and they get it and don't like it, the seller is legally
>> obliged to pay the shipping both ways.
> Just to correct a small error here - the seller is not legally bound to
> pay postage both ways, the DSR allows the seller to specify that the
> buyer pays the return postage - as long as they do so before the sale.
>
> As someone who occasionally manages to sell items on ebay for
> (extremely) modest profit I would never "try to wriggle out" of my
> obligations under the DSR but paying for the postage one way can wipe
> out any revenue from an item, even if re-sold. Paying both ways is
> unfair to small sellers if it's purely a "change of mind", although I
> agree I should pay IF it is my mistake or an item actually manages to
> arrive faulty despite the considerable care I take to test and, if
> necessary, repair items before sale.
>
> Larger "distance sellers", can factor a few percent returns into their
> sales - I just don't do the volume to do so without pricing myself out
> of the market.
>
> As to the packaging for your item I feel your pain - I hate it when
> items arrive poorly packed. Fortunately I've been lucky so far and
> nothing has been signifcantly damaged. Sending I always use "fat" bubble
> wrap to give about 2" coverage, then peanuts packed into bags so that
> they can't "flow" around the item, for heavier items I us expanded
> polystyrene if I have it to hand and I've been toying with the idea of
> experimenting with expanding foam to give custom moulded support.

"Neither the voice of authority nor the weight of reason and argument
are as significant as experiment, for thence comes quiet to the mind."
De Erroribus Medicorum, R. Bacon, 13th century.
"If you don't know what it is, don't poke it."
Ghost in the Shell

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLP
17850 Six Mile Road