[time-nuts] SC Cut

jim s jws at jwsss.com
Tue Sep 11 21:22:56 UTC 2012

On 9/11/2012 10:01 AM, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:
> The SC cut crystal is generally credited to Jack Kusters
> (of HP) and Errol Ernisse.  The story was something like
> Errol proposed the concept and Jack actually made the
> first one, which was quite non-trivial.
> Jack used to joke that "SC" stood for Santa
> Clara.  (Jack and I worked for the old HP Santa Clara
> Division).  Jack, along with Charles Adams and Jim Collin,
> produced 100's of thousands of SC cut crystals and taught the
> rest of the industry how to make them.  Jack was very
> particular about making them "correctly" in terms of
> angle of cut, etc.  He was really proud of his X-ray
> system that was accurate to 2 arc-seconds.  This was
> instrumental in being able to actually fabricate "true"
> SC cut crystals.
>
> Rick Karlquist N6RK
If there is a web citation of this, I can edit the article and add the
citation and information.  I don't like any of the citations in the
section about SC cuts because none of the verbiage is still visible and
as you mention the critical information as to the origin is missing
after stating it originated in 1974.  At the least a citation with
Rick's info and a date would be better in the first sentence if it is
online.

I hate that they require online citation, but have no way of ensuring
you can go to the source material even given the link. There is a peeing
contest ongoing about that on another thread and list which is why I'm
responding here.these bits of information from you guys who probably
know better than most are not considered the "best" source, which I
think is silly.

jim