[time-nuts] Be aware of test equipment seller

Peter Gottlieb nerd at verizon.net
Wed Sep 12 00:46:32 UTC 2012

   Our experience is that lately their service is turning to crap
   astonishingly fast.  Examples:
   *  An envelope of papers sent morning delivery not showing up.
   Calling, they say accidentally it was put in for afternoon delivery.
   But, nobody there in the afternoon and even though the envelope was
   specifically set up to not require signature or recipient there, the
   driver refused to leave it, even marking the door slip that he would
   NOT leave it even with a signed slip due to "security concerns" and it
   would not be available until the next day, at a depot 30 minutes away.
   The paperwork was resent USPS express mail and arrived the next day no
   problem.
   * Several cartons of rush order parts did not arrive at our plant.
   Upon calling, they said the shipper's account had been closed.  We said
   it was shipped with our labels on our acocunt.  They said sorry,
   they'll deliver, but there will be a two day delay.  It took over a
   week to get the parts and our customer was furious.  They refused to
   give us any credit.
   * A number of packages have been going lost and their tracking system
   is useless.  All it shows is movement to some hub and then nothing.
   When calling, they have a little more info, adding "it appears to be
   lost."
   * A number of packages getting sent to the complete opposite coast,
   then going "lost" for about 3-5 days before mysteriously appearing at
   our dock.
   * Driver just plain not showing up on some days so our outgoing
   packages just sit.
   And that's not even counting the overseas expedited shipping which is
   nearly useless.
   I suspect the bean counters got wind of an operation which was too much
   better than all the competition and figured they'd pull some profit out
   by hiring monkeys and other shortcuts.
   Peter
   Sep 11, 2012 06:33:08 PM, time-nuts at febo.com wrote:

     Gary wrote:
     >Fedex ground is awful. Fedex air is fine.
     That is our experience, as well. It may vary from region to region
     -- the FedEx ground service uses contractors for local delivery. Our
     contractor seems to take pride in damaging as many items as badly as
     possible. I have witnessed them throw a heavy package from inside
     the truck to crash on the pavement (dropping from waist height
     inside
     the truck, so maybe 5 feet to the ground), then "rolling" the
     package
     (the box, I mean -- no hand truck) across the street, over the curb,
     up the walkway, and up the front stoop. We always specify "no Fedex
     Ground" before paying and cancel transactions when sellers will not
     agree. (For similar reasons, we specify "no USPS" for anything heavy
     -- leaving just UPS, which we have found to be the best of the
     ground
     carriers. YMMV and probably will.)
     FedEx Express is, perhaps, the best of the carriers in our
     experience, but that ethic does not seem to have begun to seep into
     the Ground operation.
     Best regards,
     Charles