[time-nuts] Be aware of test equipment seller

gary lists at lazygranch.com
Wed Sep 12 01:11:55 UTC 2012

USPS Priority uses FEDEX jets in off hours. That is, FEDEX does the
overnight, but their jets are used during the day for the post office.
Checking the wiki, the contract runs until 2013.

Given a choice, I always go USPS to my PO Box. It is fast and cheap. The
PO Box takes a day or two off the delivery and one less carrier to ruin
the shipment.

It is well known that Fedex Air can be sent to their offices for pickup.
[Commonly used for the field service business.] Not quite as well known,
but UPS will allow customer pickups as well. The procedure is pretty
simple. Have the package shipped to

YOUR NAME
UPS CUSTOMER CENTER ADDRESS
Hold for pick up.
YOUR PHONE NUMBER

If you don't indicate "Hold for pick up", there is a chance they might
think it is a package for UPS itself, like a Dell computer or some other
bit of office equipment. I suppose leaving your phone number is
optional, but they phone me, which saves the effort of having to go to
the tracking website.

It has to be a staffed UPS customer center, not some vendor that does
UPS. The addresses are on their website. The advantage is again, one
less person in the chain to damage the package, plus you and UPS get to
view the package together.

The UPS tracking system will flag that the package is being held. You
have a week to pick it up else it gets returned to the sender.

Make really sure nobody on the senders end does something stupid like
send the package via FEDEX to UPS. Yep, it has happened.