[time-nuts] Wrist watch

Rich and Marcia Putz rputz at bnin.net
Sat Sep 15 05:09:05 UTC 2012

The pulse that drives the stepper (in the Casio watch in this case) as Tom mentioned is detectable on an AM receiver. I have a Grundig Yacht Boy and when tuned anywhere below 300 Khz with the watch set against the top of the radio a very clear "pop" or noise burst is heard at each second. I suppose if anyone cared you could trigger one input of a time interval counter with the speaker output of the AM radio and trigger the other input from your house standard 1PPS. You might want to wrap the whole thing in aluminum to suppress external noises so as to not get false triggers. Probably not the type of experiment you'd want to try on a day when there are thunderstorms within a hundred miles though!! ;)

Rich