[time-nuts] Reducing lab noise with LED lighting

Mark Sims holrum at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 18 18:59:58 UTC 2012

You have apparently not tried any modern/quality LED bulbs.   The Sylvania Ultra series have a 95 CRI (color rendering index).  Bridgelux makes some arrays with a CRI over 98.   I defy you to tell the difference between the output of those bulbs (or any LED with a CRI over 85) and halogens.  My house has a lot of artwork that is now lit by LEDs.  I've has a couple of museum directors by and they couldn't.

As far as LED flicker is concerned,  lots of LED flashlights dim via a PWM signal.   Lots of people can see PWM effects up to over 400 Hz!  It shows up like a strobe light effect when the beam is moved around.

Also,  white LEDs are NOT pumped by UV.  The LED underneath the phosphor is a royal blue color.   Lighting LEDs produce no spectrum in the UV or IR bands...  that is one reason museums and art galleries use them.