[time-nuts] New WWVB format...

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 22:35:00 UTC 2012

Hmmm SDR. Does that mean spensive darn radio?
Joking aside its clearly massive overkill.
The rf front end is very reasonable and 3-4 stages of opamps like the TL08X
class will do a very fine job and you can even use stages as active
bandpass filters etc. Have built a few over the last 6 months. Its the
various other things that get messy. Compression to deal with the amplitude
modulation, agc etc. Forget hard limiting what a mess that made. Then after
you have that settled you can jump into the technology of your interest.
I will say that there are lots of high level concepts but the devil is in
the detail.
What is clear is that the system has to know whats going on in the channel.
Impulse noise and fades here on the east coast make the design difficult.
As compared to say a Kansas station in the 500 uv signal region. The weak
signal and channel behaviors tend to make lots of great ideas useless.
I did also tinker with spectrum lab and a pc. Looked interesting and maybe
could have value.
But running a PC 24X7 seems like a Kluge. I prefer low power solutions
measured in sub 100 ma. Hey its got to be green because wwvb really isn't.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL