[time-nuts] The best GPSDO ?

Ulrich Bangert df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de
Fri Sep 28 08:12:44 UTC 2012

Gentlemen,

I know that lots of you own a GPSDO, some of you two or even more. For that
reason I conclude that there must be a lot of knowledge available on how
different GPSDOs perform against each other. This is why I want to put
forward the question for the BEST GPSDO in terms of

a) phase noise up to 100 kHz from the carrier

b) AD for tau > 0.1 s and < say 7200 s (where the AD is controlled by LO AND
GPS and not by GPS alone)

The basic question is: If we want a reference that can be used for phase
noise measurements as well as for AD measurements, what shall we buy? If you
come to the opinion that a) and b) cannot be satisfied by the same device,
then suggest different devices that you would use for a) and b).

My personal guess is (without owning one) that a Z3815 may be a candidate
due to its E1938 oscillator. But as to be seen on Tom's pages there are
better and worse specimen of this OCXO too. My own measurements with the new
Timepod indicate that my Z3805 with the MTI260 OCXO can't be that bad. You
may even have luck with a double oven HP10811 in a Z3801 although the 6
channel gps receiver is surely not state of the art. Perhaps the Thunderbolt
is the solution?

I will be glad to read what you judge!

Ulrich Bangert
www.ulrich-bangert.de