[time-nuts] FE-5680 frequency jump

Bob Smither smither at c-c-i.com
Sat Apr 6 14:05:16 EDT 2013

On 04/06/2013 08:39 AM, Jim Lux wrote:
> On 4/6/13 6:08 AM, Lester Veenstra wrote:
>> Any TimeNutter worth his/her salt can do that..right!
>>

> $100 Presto 23 qt canning style pressure cooker, electric heating elements,
> thermocouple probes, some fiberglass insulation to reduce conductive losses.
>
> Do it in your backyard and have a straw broom handy to detect hydrogen fires.
>
> Be careful.. 400C is getting close to 660C aluminum melting point.  I'm also not
> sure the gasket in the pressure cooker can take that temperature.. you might
> want to replace it with something else.
>
> Here's the reaction vessel:
> http://www.target.com/p/presto-23-quart-aluminum-pressure-cooker-canner/-/A-660065#prodSlot=medium_1_5
>

> Now, if it's the 1000C+ that Magnus mentioned, that's a bit trickier.. Probably
> need a ceramic container.

I had use for a kiln recently - found a very reasonable priced one at Vulcan Kilns:

  http://vulcankilns.com/

I got the JK-1 - 2250F (1232C) max temp.  Easy to use benchtop unit.  I added an
inexpensive thermocouple controller unit to improve the temperature control.
Has been very useful in annealing some metal springs for a project.

I have no relationship with Vulcan other than being a satisfied customer.

Bob Smither, PhD                                   Circuit Concepts, Inc.
    "Every election is a sort of advance auction sale of stolen goods."
        -- Libertarian H.L. Mencken
Smither at C-C-I.Com            http://www.C-C-I.Com            281-331-2744