[time-nuts] DATUM 9390-52054 Grief again...

Stewart Cobb stewart.cobb at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 01:05:39 EDT 2013

> I do not recognize the GPS receiver module, but it has the following
> number on it:  TNL 22880-B.  I have the schematics for the overall
> DATUM 9390-25054, but the GPS module is just a block.  By the way,
> the GPS block on the DATUM overall schematic is marked, "SV6 /
> (TANS)".  I suspect this means something noteworthy.

"TNL" is Trimble Navigation Labs (their original name). "TANS" is Trimble
Advanced Navigation Sensor, a GPS receiver designed circa 1989 for UAVs and
similar mil/aero applications.  Almost certainly has six GPS channels.
Generally spoke a version of TSIP, like the Thunderbolts. Often RS-422.

"SV6" as someone else mentioned, is another Trimble 6-channel receiver from
the same era. I think it was more commercial than military.  Probably also
spoke TSIP.

22880 is the Trimble part number for the board you have, rev B. Trimble
used random 5-digit part numbers until very recently, when they had to go
to six digits because they'd used up all the 5-digit numbers. That only
took about 25 years. :)

You might be able to hook up Lady Heather to snoop the receiver
communications on one of your good Datum units. If that works, you might be
able to hot-wire a Thunderbolt in place of your dead 22880 board (assuming
it really is dead).

Cheers!
--Stu