[time-nuts] Connectors

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Apr 11 15:32:25 EDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 11:49 AM, Brooke Clarke <brooke at pacific.net> wrote:
> Hi Steve:
>
> Many GPS receivers are designed with Type-F RF inputs in order to make use
> of the low cost TV coax.
> But even if a GPS receiver has a 50 Ohm RF input you can still use 75 Ohm
> feed line,

Yes they work but more than that.  At least according to Trimble they
are preferred connector type.
The user manual that goes with my Trimble Thunderbolt (Version 5.0 Nov
03) says to use f-connectors and RG-59 for runs up to about 100 feet.
 The factory supplied kit from Trimble has 75 feet of this kind of
wire.

The thing to note is that while the above Trimble parts work OK for a
GPS antenna it is not water proof and if left outdoors in the rain for
a few years will fail.   The better connectors are "compression" not
"crimp'  The easy way to tell the difference is the compressor tool
applies a force that is in parallel with the center conductor while a
crimp tool applies the force at a 90 degree angle to the center
conductor.

Also while you can kind of "fake it" by using improvised tools to
attach a crimp type connector you must have the right tool to attach a
compression type.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California