[time-nuts] Connectors

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 00:50:00 EDT 2013

On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 6:58 AM, brent evers <brent.evers at gmail.com> wrote:
> Scotchkote!  Yes - Thank you for the correction!  The other could lead to
> disaster!
>
> Nope - not ex-navy.  Its pretty standard practice in the offshore world.
> My time was spent on research vessels down in Antarctica.

I used to own a sailboat.  I used almost the same thing.  "Liquid
rubber' as sold at Home Depot it comes in a can with a brush attached
to the lid.  It was especially good for bolted connection used on
batteries.  The boat had 6 large (50+ pounds each) lead acid wet cells
and then each connects to a 250 amp fuze and a switch and so on.
There were many bolted connecters with #00 cable.  Quite a few antenna
leads too with GPS, HF and VHF radios and radar.   Nothing like on a
large ship but still tons of wire.

In all of this I never have much trouble with the connectors.
Problems where with the wire itself.  It would be nicked or abraded or
the space between the connecter and insolation would allow water or
damp air to get in and it would wick down the cable and after time
corrode the coper and turn it into "green goo."

The design of these new kind of compression connectors, the ones that
require axial force to install is that there is a rube seal that goes
over the outer insolation jacket.  This seal keep water out of the
most critical place.   The liquid rubber paint works well too.
--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California