[time-nuts] Common-View GPS Network

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Apr 15 22:40:25 EDT 2013

lachlan at twopif.net said:
> I'm starting with a Resolution T, which claims to offer a single-satellite
> mode.  I gather that it's not an amazing receiver, but I'm hoping it will be
> good enough for a first foray at least.  I'm rather hoping that it will do
> well, though, since it would mean a cheapish way of making a self-contained
> device with 10MHz/ANT on one end and Ethernet on the other.

Why are you interested in Common-View if your target is Ethernet?

As I understand it, Common-View is a way of very accurately comparing two
clocks.  Typical GPS receivers with a good antenna will get you to 10s of ns.
 Can you measure Ethernet packet timing to better than that?

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.