[time-nuts] Common-View GPS Network

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 17 09:16:09 EDT 2013

On 4/16/13 9:17 PM, Lachlan Gunn wrote:
> A few reasons:
>
>      - I am interested to see what can be done with the statistics of an ensemble of oscillators---in particular, whether the additional measurements can be used to get a timescale that is more stable than just GPS and OCXO or Rb.
>
>      - To produce some data that could be used for modelling other systems.
>
>    - If the first point plays out, then to allow access to a more accurate timescale by amateurs who cannot justify 15k/yr for NIST's.
>
> It might be interesting to see if one could extract ionospheric data from the ensemble too.

you might want to talk to Tony Mannucci at JPL..
tony.mannuccci at jpl.nasa.gov

http://iono.jpl.nasa.gov/

"A capability of monitoring the global distribution of ionospheric total
electron content (TEC) has been developed at JPL using dual-frequency
observations from a worldwide network of Global Positioning System
(GPS). Using the GPS data Combined with the Kalman filter technique and
an ionospheric model, global ionosphere maps (GIM) of vertical TEC can
be produced with an hourly or sub-hourly resolution. "

http://trs-new.jpl.nasa.gov/dspace/bitstream/2014/37457/1/05-2052.pdf
http://www.atmos-meas-tech-discuss.net/4/2525/2011/amtd-4-2525-2011.pdf